Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Don't panic! It might not be a panic attack!

It was years ago that I had my first real panic attack and knew that that was what it actually was. When I have one, even to this day, I get butterflies in my stomach, I tend to get diarrhea (sorry to be graphic but that is my main symptom) which then leads to the cause of my panic .... I would much rather stay at home for fear of embarrassing myself, having to go to the toilet in public (because no one does that do they - see irrational fear!), or being stuck in the car and needing to go to the toilet (which does happen but of course I have never had an accident - which is another fear). When having a panic attack, I let the people around me know by telling them "I'm feeling sick", it's kind of my code word!

But in the last few months I have noticed something different, a key, a clue to some of my panic attacks. So I started my own little experiment to see if I could be right and then of course I saw my Doctor and presented my evidence.


It turns out now, that after all this time, I have figured out that even though I am not Coeliac, I do in fact have an intolerance to wheat. Because wheat is a main staple in ones diet, especially mine, this would then lead to bloating, an upset belly and then of course, the immediate need to go to the loo - which drum roll please, would activate said panic attacks!

Since I have discovered this little key, I can say that I still suffer from the occasional panic attack but I have diminished them by 3/4's!! I even managed a three hour drive to Echuca the
other week, with no medication for my panic attacks and no Imodium (to stop you know what!).



I am still on the path of discovery, one step at a time. What things I can eat and how much (for instance I know I can have a bowl of pasta for dinner but if I have the leftovers for lunch the next day, I am in strife). I am trying to find a bread that I can eat, that is my goal at the moment.

Does anyone know of a good bread or of anything else good to eat?

Bel x

1 comments:

Just mum said...

Good luck with it all. My brother in law has managed it all quite well without missing out on the good stuff so I'm sure you can too.

Post a Comment

No, seriously, all comments are greatly appreciated and I do read them all! B x

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com